Thinking without language?

Leo Smith Who.cares at shaman.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 19:58:00 EST 2000

Rick Wojcik wrote:Now you have changed the question.  The original question was

> whether one could think without language.  Of course they can.
> Not just animals, but people who have suffered catastrophic loss
> of language from brain damage.  I agree with you that language
> affects our mental development, but that isn't the same as saying
> that it is necessary for thinking--even logical thinking--to take
> place.  Animals clearly make deductions.  Just not as well as
> humans.

Oh for goodness sake. It depends what you define thinking and lanuage to be. As
far as I am concerned, my internal representation of these concepts to myself, for
my purposes, says that thinking is the silent exercise of language. By almost a
matter of definition. But I wouldn't expect anyone else to have precisely the same
set of subtle attributes attached to those two words, so an almost infinite series
of responses by different people is likely if you start asking questions like
this.

And it will reveal nothing about thinking, or language - merely how peoples
internal representations of these concepts become externalised in yakking at each
other.

God this thread is boring.