Thinking without language?

gregh chows at dontspam.me.ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 18 21:54:58 EST 2000

news:38845ad8 at runswick.octacon.co.uk...
news:3883471c$1 at runswick.octacon.co.uk...
> [...]
How

> >> That's odd. I don't have a word for - and afaik *english* doesn't have
> >> word for - the left testicle of an orang-utan born on any sunday in an
> >> odd numbered year of the fifteenth century BCE. So I suppose I'm unable
> >> to express such a concept. Oh dear. That's that then. Rats.
>
> > Strange. Looks like you just DID express it. Sometimes it isnt a WORD
but an
> > amalgamation of them that does the same job.
>
> Now I'm confused. Were you missing *my* irony, or am I now missing
*yours*?
> Troubling. Very troubling. :)

Do you have a word for that situation? ;-}

> > .. [T]he emotion "love" is expressed
> > as a different thing by different people but we generally accept it to
mean
> > a common thing but definitive concepts such as you expressed above have
no
> > grey area.
>
> Oh I don't know though. We'd still have to agree on what was meant by the
> tag 'orang-utan', on the wisdom or appropriateness of the application of
the

That depends on your culture. It is a label to English speaking people who
grew up with English but in that other language, it is actually also a
description..... "Old man" I think. Dont quote me.

> term 'sunday' with reference to a period long before its present
connotations
> obtain (did the concept of the 'seven day week' even exist then?). So
whilst

I suppose that depends on your level of either education or wish to find out
the root meanings of words or phrases. I was, as a kid like most kids,
interested in the Nordic Gods and I realise what Thursday thus represents
from that but my mother wasnt interested in that sort of thing so knew it
only as a label until I told her the other meaning (showing off as kids of 6
and 7 do a lot! ;-}). It could also show the level of accidental exposure to
other cultures. ;-}

> I imagine the concept of testicle to be reasonably robust over such a
period,
> I believe there's still some scope for a little smallholding on the old
grey
> acres. (I feel sure there must be a word for this kind of waffle.
Discuss.)

I was thinking "fertiliser", myself. ;-} ;-}

--

Remove the anti-spammer stuff.