Parkinson's Disease

Elly van der Kooi nospam at anonymous.nl
Wed Jan 19 16:18:56 EST 2000

Nick De Smet <nick.desmet at advalvas.be> wrote in message
news:4_Ef4.8811$SC2.62379 at afrodite.telenet-ops.be...
> Several members of my family have been the victime of the parkinson's
> disease.
> I would like to know if there's any way to determine whether I can or can
> not get this disease? ( By scanning? bloodtest? ...)
>
> Thank you for your help?
>
> nick.desmet at advalvas.be

Nick,>

There are indeed familiair forms of Parkinsons' disease. A gene is
discovered recently: Parkingene 1. Most likely more genes will be discoverd
in years to come. So, testing can be done now or in the near future. I would
advise you, or better ask your general practitioner, to call the department
of Neurology in a University Hospital to get more information. Considering
your last name, you might come from the Netherlands. If so, you might
consider Amsterdam (AMC) or Nijmegen.

Louise A.