Thinking without language?

Rick Wojcik rwojcik at gte.net
Wed Jan 19 20:29:18 EST 2000

Leo Smith wrote:

> Rick Wojcik wrote:

 <...snip...>
> > Read the question.  If you define thinking as a silent exercise
> > in language, then you have just begged the question.
>
> I do. There. So the question is like 'can you have eggs without eggs' as far as I am
> concerned. Stupid dumb question. Wasting bandwidth.

I can understand why you think the question is stupid, given your
definition of thinking.  I applaud your general goal of getting
people to stop wasting bandwidth, but are you sure that this is
the best method to go about it--posting lengthy responses to
circular questions?

> > Your only
> > way out of the dilemma is that you say it is "almost a matter of
> > definition".  If you can tell us how "almost" differs from
> > "totally" in your mind, you might have a way out of the circular
> > logic.
> >
> I am not looking for a way out. I am not trying to be smart. The only reason to post at
> all is in case some poor sod out there is actually paying attention to this rubbish.

I am happy that you are not trying to be smart.  I think that you
have succeeded.  I will now cease to waste any more bandwidth.
;-)