career in neuroscience

edkeen at usa.net edkeen at usa.net
Sun Jan 23 13:04:35 EST 2000

Hi, my name is Ed Keen, and I am considering a career in neuroscience
research.  I graduated with a B.S. in psychology in 1990 (minor in
biology), and since then I have been a computer programmer.  I have a
few questions about the field:

1.  What are considered the best schools for neuroscience?  So far, I
have only checked into UCLA and Caltech, but any area of the country is
fine.

2.  Caltech has a "Computing and Neural Systems" program
(http://www.cns.caltech.edu/).  Is anyone familiar with this program?
If so, please give me any impressions you have of it.

3.  One bit of reluctance I have about getting into a research-oriented
field is the fact that I have not done much research, so I am not sure
what it is like.  I wonder if it is dry and tedious (especially when I
see some of the obscure subjects that people are researching).  Can
anybody shed some light on this?  What is a "day in the life" of a
neuroscience researcher like?

Thanks in advance,
Ed Keen
Indianapolis, Indiana