New Non-Profit Science Website In Need Of Help

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Tue Jan 25 10:37:27 EST 2000

There is a very strong problem in what you want to do, no
matter how noble the intent.

Professional scientists publish their work specifically in
referreed journals.  That it, the manuscripts are reviewed by
other scientists in the field before publication.  Many submissions
are rejected, even more require editing, perhaps substantial
rewriting, even further research before they are accepted.
This work consitutes the "primary" research literature.

Professional advancement, at least at academic institutions,
is based on these publications.  Other works are considered
useful or interesting, but are much less important.

Your system is clearly not of this nature.  And it will be viewed
as merely another private web site that may have interesting
material, but more likely will be mostly idle speculation, far-
fetched hypothesizing, ...

The amount of "real" science that will appear would probably be
even less than the amount of "real neuroscience"  we get on
this bionet newsgroup supposedly devoted to neuroscience.

Of course I will get flamed for stating the reality of the world
of professional science.  There is definitely a place for the lay
public and interested "amateur" neurobiologists to propose
and discuss ideas and to have questions answered -- this
newsgroup is one of those places.

But you specifically want a place to search for "current scientific
research" and the primary literature is that place.

news:388D33D1.56775AD3 at mindfetch.net...