New Non-Profit Science Website In Need Of Help

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi
Wed Jan 26 02:46:43 EST 2000

Richard Norman <rsnorman at mediaone.net> wrote:
> Of course I will get flamed for stating the reality of the world
> of professional science.

Well, you are wholly correct in what you wrote.

> But you specifically want a place to search for "current scientific
> research" and the primary literature is that place.

Quite. But whereas search engines on the web usually yields very little,
there is, to an increasing extent, access through the web to primary
literature. I mean the electronically available scientific journals.
Unfortunately for nonprofessionals and students, they often cost. Some
are available only through membership in societies (I think this is the
case with J. Neuroscience), others are available if one is a paid
subscriber (like Neuroreport). I am not sure about the general
availability of online peer-reviewed journals like Sleep Research Online,
for instance.
  Some of these electronically distributed journal versions are
available on campus library lines, if the university in case is a paid
subscriber.

> The Mindfetch Team <contact at mindfetch.net> wrote in message
> > I started a project together with a few other students, because we felt
> > that there is no reliable place on the web to look for current
> > scientific research activities. Search engines return thousands of dead
> > links or links to porn sites that have nothing to do with science.

Apparently this Mindfetch Teamn  are looking for all aspects of science.
This would be an enormously large website if ever it could assemble
enough articles.....
  Looking only at neuroscience (the theme of this newsgroup), Elsevier
Publishers have been working on their CDROM "Encyclopedia of Neuroscience".
This major hypermedia effort is based on articles partly written years ago,
and edited. Version 1.0 appeared in 1997, about a year late from estimate.
Their website say that ver. 1.1 has appeared, but they have not shipped it
yet (last interim report was a year ago...). This shows how even big
publishers have problems in providing comprehensive texts USING MONEY.
What then about volunteer work?
  Also, one has to remember that once an article has been peer reviewed
and published (properly), the publisher has the copyright to the text.
It is thus not possible to submit the same text to a website (if
somebody was getting that bright idea)..

Dag Stenberg