Kainic acid NEEDED!!

Millennial Dragon james.teo at chch.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 18:45:12 EST 2000

On 25 Jan 2000 10:57:34 GMT, dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi wrote:
>boonplue <boonplue at aludra.usc.edu> wrote:
>> We're doing studies that use kainic acid, and we can't find any
>> companies that sell it.  So, if you know where we can find a company
>> that still carries it, please tell us.
>
>Do you mean that RBI (product # G-020) and Tocris (product # 0222) do
>not carry it any more?
>
>Dag Stenberg

Well, in July last year, there was a major shortage in US and UK as
for some reason the exporter in Japan stopped sending it over, for
some reason or other. Tocris and RBI didn't have any left, and when I
was presenting a poster that I did with the last few supplies of
kainate, I got lots of interested parties, not because of my poster
but because they wanted my kainate.
I'm actually rather surprised that there is still a shortage.There
goes all hope of studying the role of kainate receptors in LTP for a
while.