Factoring the Mind

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at victoria.tc.ca
Wed Jan 26 19:05:21 EST 2000

Let's design a computer as the host architecture of an artificial
mind.

Basing our design upon the "black box" of the human brain-mind,
we can safely start with the Sensorium/Motorium for Input/Output.

Quickly we diverge from traditional computer architecture by
elongating our Input/Output ports into lifelong memory channels
of what goes in and out:  Not just one-time data for massage by
a software program, but conscious experiences along a multi-
sensory continuum in a Stimulus-Response loop -- nay, spiral --
of the computer interacting with the world.

Lacking brain-style massively redundant parallelism in our
primitive computer architecture, let us simulate mass-par psi
phenomena by cycling through minutely factored steps of behavior
in serial software on a von Neumann computer architecture.

Input alone does not generate thought and consciousness, so let
us borrow wholesale from Chomskyan transformational grammar and
superimpose a linguistic thinking mechanism over the channels
of sensory input.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind4th.html is the
first instantiation leading to the Technological Singularity of
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html Vinge.