Endogenous opioids and placebo analgesia

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 27 13:04:08 EST 2000

Where the treatments double blind?  That is, did the experimenter
know which group the subjects were in ?  That might influence the
results.

My first guess is that this is a problem in methodology that the
psychologists are probably more experienced at dealing with.
Physiologists assume that things have simple physical causes
and therefore experiments should work the way the experimental
design indicates.  Unfortunately when you get people involved
as subjects (instead of, say, cells that can't think on their own),
things go terribly wrong.

So are you sure the instructions to the subjects and the details of
how they were approached and questioned carefully controlled?
Are the results really statistically significant?

But your thesis committee probably already went into those questions.

news:86pnq9$pjg$1 at oac2.hsc.uth.tmc.edu...