Neuron-glia interaction - CROSS-THREAD CORRELATIONS

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 28 09:03:19 EST 2000

please forgive me for wanting to keep this lengthy stuff together.

a set of articles in the 31Jan2000 _Newsweek_ stimmed realization with respect
to how head injury augments the precipitation of Alzheimer's.

head trauma always results, to some degree, in an increase in the relative
'randomness' (which is an elevation of TD E/I) of the on-going nerual
activation 'state'.

to the degree that this TD E/I(up) state does, in fact, persist,
activation-dependent trophic dynamics will correlate with the magnitude and
duration of this TD E/I(up) 'state'.

because the TD E/I-minimization dynamics are 'blindly' automated, to the
degree that micromods, correlated with the TD E/I(up) 'state', are, in fact,
procuced by activation-dependent trophic dynamics, they will constitute a
learned TD E/I(up) condition that has information-processing 'inertia', and
which can, although artificially induced during the head injury, be
self-perpetuating and self augmenting.

(this is just an injury-induced version of the relative-randomness that was
discussed re. aged 'boredom', quoted below.)

i saw a correlated report on TV news-magazine the other night (don't recall
the channel; i was working while 'watching') in which a high school American
football player received a concussion and returned to playing soon thereafter,
resulting in drastically-permanent injury. the question of head trauma via
soccer (International football) whas also raised.

the brain is a semi-fluid organ, kind of like 'pudding', and when there's
trauma to the head, it 'shifts' in compression & translation & torque. it's
the Geometrical distortedness that results in elevated TD E/I. to the degree
that the 'normal' topology is deviated from, TD E/I(up) occurs. to the degree
that the Geometry does not return to 'normal' the TD E/I(up) condition endures
while the TD E/I-minimization mechanisms perform information-processing work
in an effort to reestablish 'normal' functionality.

if the TD E/I(up) condition endures, it can become a 'nucleus' that, via
'normal' TD E/I-minimization dynamics, results in the brain being
artificially-induced to 'seek' TD E/I(up) instead of TD E/I(down), which, over
the long-term, would precipitate the symptoms of Alzheimer's.

this hypothesis can be verified via analysis of the occurrence of Alzheimer's
symptomology with respect to head-injured and non head-injured folks, with
careful 'interpolation' re. correalted recuperation 'times' that head-injured
folks actually experienced.

a positive correlation means is that all head trauma must be taken seriously,
and programs to assist in recovery, including adequate recuperation 'time',
and a deliberate focus upon exercising 'normal' functionality (reading,
walking, reaching, talking, etc.) be established.

k. p. collins