evolutionary significance of emotions !!

sisial sisial at email.msn.com
Thu Mar 2 14:31:29 EST 2000

"John H." <johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au> wrote in message
news:89llsd$2hl9$1 at news1.wire.net.au...

> Mr. Medford has it better targeted than myself, a subset within
depressives.
> I am curious as to the possibility that creativity of any kind arising
> because of predispositions that force the individual into different
> perceptual or cognitive styles. Clearly some artists do this very
> consciously (the neurotic is controlled by his fantasy but the artist is
in
> control of his fantasy) but it is clear that some artists rely on a
strongly
> intuitive mode to find some of their best expressions. I can only guess,
but
> in some depressives there is appears to be  an elevation of this probably
> already existent ability and I wonder if the depressive state can render
an
> individual more aware of some valuable internal operations that may
> otherwise go unnoticed.

"The neurotic is controlled by his fantasy but the artist is in control of
his fantasy"? It was my understanding that neurotic patients do not suffer
the loss of sense of reality seen in psychotic patients. Depressive neurosis
commonly involves feelings of sadness, hopelessness, pessimism,
listlessness, fatigue, slow thought and action, reduced appetite and
difficulty sleeping. In what way is the depressive neurotic "controlled by
his fantasy"? In what way is the artist "in control of his fantasy"?

As far as I can tell, the only difference between depression and the
incubation stage of the creative process is one of extreme. Both states
involve a reduction in response to extrinsic stimuli and an increase in
response to intrinsic stimuli. In the case of highly creative individuals,
more extreme responses seem to be the norm. (Kazimierz Dabrowski, Linda
Silverman, etc). However, even in the case of individuals who are not
especially creative, depression may merely be an incubation period as the
system attempts a creative solution to a problem for which no predetermined
solution exists. Pervasive depression may result when individuals lack the
necessary resources (physical or mental) to achieve illumination. Psychotic
tendencies may result when insufficient objective standards exist for
evaluating a solution.