evolutionary significance of emotions !!

Nick Medford nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 20:25:00 EST 2000

In article <89mutv$edj$1 at nntp.Stanford.EDU>, Larisa Migachyov
<lvm at Stanford.EDU> writes
>sisial wrote:
>
>>  (Estimates for lifetime risk of developing severe depression is, I believe,
>>  around 8% in females and 0.3% in males.
>
>This sentence caught my eye,

Good thing too- it didn't catch mine and I let it go unchallenged.

> and I apologize for deviating completely from
>the topic.  Has anyone investigated why the risk of depression in women is
>25 times greater than that in men?

No, because it isn't. Lifetime prevalence for depression is generally quoted at
2.5 - 4.5% for men and 5 - 9% (i.e. roughly twice as high) for women. Peak
age of onset is in the 30s for women and in the 40s for men.

One factor that contributes to the increased prevalence in women is the
relatively common phenomenon of post-natal depression. One could
certainly argue that cultural and social factors may play a role too.

Regards
--
Nick Medford