evolutionary significance of emotions !!

sisial sisial at email.msn.com
Thu Mar 2 23:33:03 EST 2000

"Larisa Migachyov" <lvm at Stanford.EDU> wrote in message
news:89mutv$edj$1 at nntp.Stanford.EDU...

> >  (Estimates for lifetime risk of developing severe depression is, I
believe,
> >  around 8% in females and 0.3% in males.

> This sentence caught my eye, and I apologize for deviating completely from
> the topic.  Has anyone investigated why the risk of depression in women is
> 25 times greater than that in men?

There have been several biological and social factors suggested which might
place women at higher risk. I am not well informed in this matter, however
lower estrogen levels seems to be a primary factor. For example, it is my
understanding that most crises relating to depression occur either the day
before or on the first day of menstruation. Postpartum depression is also a
good example. Perhaps the review at
http://www.cme-reviews.com/PP1198_Granat.html  will prove more informative
or at least serve as a useful starting point for further research.