evolutionary significance of emotions !!

sisial sisial at email.msn.com
Sat Mar 4 01:44:16 EST 2000

"Nick Medford" <nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:l$MmRCAPLAw4Ew$v at hermit0.demon.co.uk...

> Where did you actually get your figure from? I have never seen any figures
> for "actual reported incidences of depression" that would yield such a
huge
> discrepancy in lifetime risk for men and women.

Encyclopedia Brittanica. They present an estimated annual incidence for
major depression of about 140 for men and 4,000 for women per 100,000
population. I assumed these figures were drawn from the World Health Report.
I was unable to find the specific data on the WHO website for major
depression. However, "Global Burden of Disease" reports a total estimated
incidence of major depression of around 4%. The numbers from Encyclopedia
Britannica corresponded to this, so I used those numbers.

I also notice that I was misquoted as saying "actual reported incidences of
depression". The quote should be "actual reported incidences of major
depression". Please do not think I am nitpicking over terms. Depression in
my mind refers to general depression which includes major (unipolar and
bipolar) and minor (dysthymic and cyclothymic) affective disorders. My
estimates were specifically for major depression. (Actually, I think I may
have used severe depression rather than major depression, but the meaning is
the same).

Are you sure the 2:1 ratio is for major depression and not research into
general depression? The APA estimates risk of general depression around 25%
in women and 12.5% in men. As I said, this ratio is then often applied to
major depression (and sometimes even bipolar disorder) with the argument
that men are less likely to seek help for major depressive episodes. I
haven't been able to locate any risk studies specifically oriented towards
major depression.