evolutionary significance of emotions !!

sisial sisial at email.msn.com
Sat Mar 4 02:29:49 EST 2000

"Nick Medford" <nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:2$2ixIAnaAw4Ewcn at hermit0.demon.co.uk...

> Probably correct. I suspect that studying this depends on sampling
> techniques. If your group of "unmarried" women is a group of single
mothers
> struggling to cope, then they are likely to have higher rates of
depression
> than the married women. On the other hand if your "unmarried" group
> comprises successful high-flying career women then they are likely to have
> lower rates than the married group.

Exactly. The APA often lists "marriage and children" as a risk factor in
women, but most of the focus is on children. I am not aware of any risk in
marriage which does not exist in some form or other outside of marriage. I
assume "marriage and children" results from a larger number of married women
with children than unmarried women with children in the U.S.