what is a thought ??

John H. johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au
Sat Mar 4 10:32:06 EST 2000

I think it was Wittgenstein who once quipped that we use concepts all the
time but have you sat down and tried to define one? If he couldn't manage it
I ain't gonna try. The whole thing is a big flaming loop, end up too often
chasing your own tail and getting cognitive rabbies. I do not enjoy
intellectual exercises like that, makes me reach for the old Occam's razor.

The more pertinent question might be what do we hope to achieve by defining
a "thought". Does a single perception and a subsequent motor sequence
constitute one thought or many? How much do you reduce the "thought"
concept? Cognitive, awareness, perceptual, sensory? How small must the
little man get before we can exclaim, "Eureka, I have the true and only
centre of all thoughts. All thoughts contains this\these essential bits and
any object nothing having the same is not a thought.

Can "thought" be reduced to a set of relatively simple abstractions. Does
"thought" in this sense exist or is it just another example of our stunning
capacity to generalise and so play the game of an orderly consciousness and
thought processes. Should all "thoughts" be classified as being "in the same
class of things". I mean to say I've met some people and I certainly don't
share their thoughts and cannot understand them at all. Are they using
different "thoughts" from me.

The universe is a thought,

John H.

See what you've done. I'm gonna have to start taking drugs again.

news:89jjf1$t9f$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...