neurogenesis - NewSci Feb 12 2000

Ian McLeod ian_mcleod at primus.com.au
Sun Mar 5 04:13:08 EST 2000

So what is selective about Prozac in SSRI?

Have we found any evidence of neurogenesis in humans yet?  I mean definitive
evidence.  It appears that the smoking gun is there, but no firm suspects yet.

I myself am taking Prozac after reading the New Scientist article on Prozac.
It appears to be working, and apparently long term depression can leave
'scarring' (as my GP called it) on the brain.  I have been hoping that Prozac
would remedy this.

I can not detect any side effects.

I do not wish to use this discussion group for my own benefit.  I am interested
in the potential for neurogenesis for society as a whole.  It sounds too good
to be true.

But it appears that no firm evidence for neurogenesis in humans has been found
yet, apart from the smoking guns so to speak.

If anyone has anything to contribute, please write to me personally as well as
posting to this group.

Thank you.

Ian