evolutionary significance of emotions !!

Nick Medford nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 22:15:50 EST 2000

In article <#mT1Rcuh$GA.90 at cpmsnbbsa02>, sisial
<sisial at email.msn.com> writes

>I'll have to be more cautious when using EB in the future.

Yes, it's a bit worrying, one tends to think of the EB as an unimpeachable
source. Wonder how many other errors are in there.

>> >Depression in
>> >my mind refers to general depression which includes major (unipolar and
>> >bipolar) and minor (dysthymic and cyclothymic) affective disorders. My
>> >estimates were specifically for major depression. (Actually, I think I
>may
>> >have used severe depression rather than major depression, but the meaning
>is
>> >the same).
>
>> Personally I wouldn't include
>> chronic dysthymia as a major affective disorder.
>
>I'm not sure I understand. I list dysthymia as a minor affective disorder.

Yes, I was agreeing with that. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

>> Bipolar disorder actually shows no sex bias. The lifetime prevalence is
>about
>> 0.012%, males = females.
>
>This I know for certain. However, "educational" materials distributed by
>several pharmaceuticals are claiming a 2:1 ratio for bipolar.

Really? That's also worrying!

Regards
--
Nick Medford