evolutionary significance of emotions !!

A.F. Simpson AFS7 at le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 15:44:48 EST 2000

sisial wrote:

> I seem to remember reading once that females are also more likely to warn
> someone before attempting suicide. I don't seem to remember this being
> sufficient to explain the higher success in male suicides, but it always
> made me wonder what other differences exist in how the two go about suicide.
> (Not that I'd care to study this, I find suicide depressing).

I believe I remember reading that men tend to chose more effective (and
messier) methods of suicide than women - jumping from buildings,
stepping in front of trains, shooting, etc.  Women more often
takeoverdoses, cut themselves, and use other methods which give more
opportunity for intervention.  Therefore men have a higher rate of
success per suicide attempt.

love
Anna