neurogenesis - NewSci Feb 12 2000

Brian Scott brians at eol.ca
Wed Mar 8 00:59:55 EST 2000

Bill Skaggs wrote:

> Ian McLeod <ian_mcleod at primus.com.au> writes:
> > Did anyone read the New Scientist article, dated 12 February 2000?
> > Studies on rats and some other animals have shown that the regrowth of
> > neurons in the hippocampus is possible, perhaps in other regions such as
> > the cortex.
>
> The "other animals" now include primates.
>

> > This sounds amazing to me..  Too amazing..  In a past issue - New
> > Scientist also reported that Prozac had been demonstrated to assist the
> > growth of new neurons in the hippocampus (an area apparantly damaged by
> > depression).
>
> As Dag Stenburg says, it has been definitely established.  Still, we
> shouldn't make *too* much of it.  As far as I know, there are only two
> kinds of nerve cells that have been shown to reproduce in the adult
> mammalian nervous system -- granule cells in the hippocampus and
> olfactory receptor cells in the nose.  Most likely few, if any, others
> will be discovered, because it isn't actually all that difficult to
> tell whether dividing neurons are present in a region, and many
> studies of this kind have been done using rodents.  Thus, the rule is
> still that neurons in the adult nervous system don't reproduce -- we
> just know now that there are a couple of curious exceptions to the
> rule.
>
>         -- Bill

Freg Gage's people seem to have found neuronal precursor cells in the
adult mammalian spinal cord.  I can't find the reference right now
though.  Also, the dorsal root ganglia seem to be a possibility now...

Are there proliferating neuronal precursors in adult rat dorsal root
ganglia?
Ciaroni S, Cecchini T, Cuppini R, Ferri P, Ambrogini P, Bruno C, Del
Grande P
Neurosci Lett 2000 Mar 3;281(1):69-71

--

Brian Scott
brians at eol.ca
brians at interlog.com

"In other studies you go as far as others have gone before you, and
there is nothing more to know; but in scientific pursuit there is
continual food for discovery and wonder."  -  Victor Frankenstein
(from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, 1818)