neurogenesis - NewSci Feb 12 2000

Brian Scott brians at eol.ca
Wed Mar 8 01:05:10 EST 2000

Ian McLeod wrote:

> Did anyone read the New Scientist article, dated 12 February 2000?
> Studies on rats and some other animals have shown that the regrowth of
> neurons in the hippocampus is possible, perhaps in other regions such as
> the cortex.
>
> This sounds amazing to me..  Too amazing..  In a past issue - New
> Scientist also reported that Prozac had been demonstrated to assist the
> growth of new neurons in the hippocampus (an area apparantly damaged by
> depression).

R.S. Duman reported at a recent Society for Neuroscience meeting that
several antidepressant drugs as well as electroconvulsive shock also
increase neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus.  It's likely that anything
that increases serotonin action will increase neurogenesis by an effect
on proliferation of the progenitor cells.

--

Brian Scott
brians at eol.ca
brians at interlog.com

"In other studies you go as far as others have gone before you, and
there is nothing more to know; but in scientific pursuit there is
continual food for discovery and wonder."  -  Victor Frankenstein
(from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, 1818)