neuroscience: yes or no?

Russ Gibson rgibson at netdoor.com
Wed Mar 15 20:29:43 EST 2000

Hi there.. I'm about to receive my B.S. in physics, and I have a strong
interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in cognitive neuroscience. Fortunately, my GREs
are excellent, and I have done research for several great professors who are
willing to give me stellar recommendations. Unfortunately, I have a 2.5 GPA
(it took me a while to get on-track in college, change of majors, major
death in family, etc, etc.).

Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into grad school?

At this point, I have pretty much written off prestigious research
universities, and am hoping to get accepted to a state university somewhere
with a smaller department, less prestigious reputation, etc. Given the
extremely competitive nature of admission into neuroscience programs, I'm
also considering another discipline, something like biomedical engineering
or straight biology research. Would this help? Do I have a chance?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Russ Gibson
rgibson at netdoor.com