neuroscience: yes or no?

Mark Morin mmorin at goti.net
Wed Mar 15 21:55:58 EST 2000

Russ Gibson wrote:

> Hi there.. I'm about to receive my B.S. in physics, and I have a strong
> interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in cognitive neuroscience. Fortunately, my GREs
> are excellent, and I have done research for several great professors who are
> willing to give me stellar recommendations. Unfortunately, I have a 2.5 GPA
> (it took me a while to get on-track in college, change of majors, major
> death in family, etc, etc.).
>
> Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into grad school?
>
> At this point, I have pretty much written off prestigious research
> universities, and am hoping to get accepted to a state university somewhere
> with a smaller department, less prestigious reputation, etc. Given the
> extremely competitive nature of admission into neuroscience programs, I'm
> also considering another discipline, something like biomedical engineering
> or straight biology research. Would this help? Do I have a chance?
>
> Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Russ Gibson
> rgibson at netdoor.com

don't assume that grade point averages are weighted heavily.  some program
weight them heavily, other's don't.  place some calls to admissions offices or
the actual departments you are interested in.  Ask them how they weight GPA vs
GRE vs recommendations and publications, etc.  You might be surprised in finding
that you still may have a chance with the "prestigious schools."

mark

--
We might well ask if anything which cannot be addressed in scientific terms is

http://www.goti.net/members/mmorin/index.htm