neuroscience: yes or no?

Richard L. Hall rhall at webmail.uvi.edu
Thu Mar 16 07:32:26 EST 2000

Hi Russ,

I had a similar GPA but was very fortunate to have faculty who
believed in me took the time and effort to help me gain entry to
graduate school.  I took some graduate courses at my undergraduate
institution (U. Nebraska Omaha) and transferred to U. Nebraska
Lincoln for my masters.  I was accepted provisionally at Arizona
State University and successfully completed my doctoral research in
comparative physiology.  It was years later that I was given grant
support to train in neurosciences and finally almost 30 years after
graduating from college, I am exactly where I hoped to be (well, I
never actually considered living in paradise).

The point?

It takes help from others and it takes perseverance, but a low GPA is
more of a motivating factor than a barrier.

rlh

>Russ Gibson wrote:
>
>  > Hi there.. I'm about to receive my B.S. in physics, and I have a strong
>  > interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in cognitive neuroscience.
>Fortunately, my GREs
>  > are excellent, and I have done research for several great
>professors who are
>  > willing to give me stellar recommendations. Unfortunately, I have a 2.5 GPA
>  > (it took me a while to get on-track in college, change of majors, major
>  > death in family, etc, etc.).
>  >
>  > Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into grad school?
>  >
>  > At this point, I have pretty much written off prestigious research
>  > universities, and am hoping to get accepted to a state university somewhere
>  > with a smaller department, less prestigious reputation, etc. Given the
>  > extremely competitive nature of admission into neuroscience programs, I'm
>  > also considering another discipline, something like biomedical engineering
>  > or straight biology research. Would this help? Do I have a chance?
>  >
>  > Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>  >
>  > Russ Gibson
>  > rgibson at netdoor.com
>
>don't assume that grade point averages are weighted heavily.  some program
>weight them heavily, other's don't.  place some calls to admissions offices or
>the actual departments you are interested in.  Ask them how they weight GPA vs
>GRE vs recommendations and publications, etc.  You might be
>surprised in finding
>that you still may have a chance with the "prestigious schools."
>
>mark
>

>--
>**************
>We might well ask if anything which cannot be addressed in scientific terms is
>really worthy of our attention.  Yet most of the things that give life its
>depth, meaning, and value are impervious to science.
>   Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.
>   Kitchen Table Wisdom
>
>http://www.goti.net/members/mmorin/index.htm

>-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Richard L. Hall, Ph.D.
Comparative Animal Physiologist

University of the Virgin Islands
2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. 00802

340-693-1386
340-693-1385 FAX

rhall at uvi.edu

"Live life on the edge...the view is always better"  rlh

---