Ginkgo biloba and memory

John H. johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au
Thu Mar 16 10:52:49 EST 2000

There was a study just completed in Melbourne, Australia, the initial
results suggesting some improvement across a variety of tests. It does help
but only a little. I now obtain it at pharmaceutical grade because a lot on
the shelves is dodgy. Also helps maintain Na atpase activity, lowers blood
clotting (so be careful with aspirin etc). Even has, wait for it,
anti-oxidant properties. This plus lowering blood clotting may be sufficient
to explain what I think are only slight increases in cognitive performance
although in the study a number of the normal healthy people did express a
noticeable subjective improvement in mental alertness and memory. And I must
say that I seem to derive some benefit but my memory is still getting worse.

Sorry, I have no refs re Melbourne study but searching should find it. I
know the study is being published soon. I must warn you the study was
sponsored by Blackmores who have a vested interest. Nonetheless, I think
there is some benefit here but my memory is still fading ...

Article: Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761 protects Na,K-ATPase activity during
cerebral ischemia in mice.
Authors:
Sandrine Pierre, Isabelle Jamme, 1
Marie-The reÁ se Droy-Lefaix, 2
Andre Nouvelot 1 and
Jean-Michel Maixent CA
Journal: NeuroReport 10, 47±51 (1999)
File: No dir in Atrocity : Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761 protects

news:8apoou$2q4$1 at hornet.fibr.net...