Ginkgo biloba and memory

John H. johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au
Fri Mar 17 07:17:40 EST 2000

Go fishing.

 I'm not sure that there is that much research on Ginkgo but I found this in
my files. interesting as it may explain the memory improvement in the
Melbourne studies.

Look, pubmed, good search engine. Please don't ask for straightforward refs
unless indicating you have already made an effort.

Increased glucose would also explain memory lift, old studies showing
intravenous injections of glucose did just this. No I can't reference.

Can someone help me here, will the upregulation of muscarinic receptors
account for memory improvement? Would this lead to increased glucose
uptake???

John H.
Remove 4X

Presse Med 1986 Sep 25;15(31):1491-3

[Neuromediator binding to receptors in the rat brain. The effect of chronic
administration of Ginkgo biloba extract].
[Article in French]

Taylor JE
The present data confirm the results of others that post-synaptic receptor
changes may contribute to the decline in brain cholinergic function in
ageing and dementia. We have also shown that chronic oral treatment with an
extract of Gingko biloba increases the apparent muscarinic receptor
population in the hippocampus of the aged Fisher 344 rat. The possible
effect on (3H) kainic acid binding to the kainate-excitatory amino acid site
is also interesting because of the proposed association of neurodegenerative
disease and excessive excitatory amino neurotransmission.

MeSH Terms:

Aging/drug effects
Animal
Brain/metabolism
Brain/drug effects*
Comparative Study
English Abstract
Male
Neurotransmitters/metabolism*
Plant Extracts/pharmacology
Plants, Medicinal*
Rats
Rats, Inbred F344
Receptors, Neurotransmitter/metabolism
Receptors, Neurotransmitter/drug effects*
Time Factors
Trees*
Substances:

Receptors, Neurotransmitter
Plant Extracts
Neurotransmitters

m. e. ow <the_cat_is_sitting at the_keybo.ard> wrote in message
news:AV8A4.515$624.6763 at nntp2.onemain.com...

> Perchance has anyone reported any work on elevation of
> blood glucose levels after prolonged ginkoba biloba
> extract use??  Other changes in standard blood chemistry
> panel in humans (not rats & mice )??
> Would be nice to see someone publish such a footnote, even
> if to report negative results.
>

> In article <8ar08h$25dt$1 at news1.wire.net.au>, "John H."
> <johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au> wrote:
> >There was a study just completed in Melbourne, Australia, the initial
> >results suggesting some improvement across a variety of tests. It does
help