neurogenesis - NewSci Feb 12 2000

boris777 at my-deja.com boris777 at my-deja.com
Mon Mar 20 20:18:59 EST 2000

In article <38D333EC.186DFBE8 at primus.com.au>,
Ian McLeod <ian_mcleod at primus.com.au> wrote:

> Brian Scott wrote:
>
> This is not good news for the drug education bodies. Does this mean that
> drugs such as amphetamines can actually help people? Or am I mistaking
> amphetamines for something else?

amphetamines have a decidedly non-neurogenetic effect.  methamphetamine
is one of the more potent serotonergic and dopaminergic neurotoxins.
its neurotoxic properties appear to have more to do with free radical
generation than its ability to stimulate serotonin or dopamine release.

> Could we facilitate neurogenesis without drugs? Meditation, anything that may
> reduce stress and increase seratonin.
>

> > R.S. Duman reported at a recent Society for Neuroscience meeting that

i worked next door to ron duman from 1998-1999 and the theory that was
emerging from the lab was that ECS and SSRIs stimulate CREB mediated
transcription of Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) which has
rather well-documented neuroprotective ability, and may also be
implicated in neurogenesis, though that latter link still appears to be
weak.

also, fred gage's group has shown that simply running (in rats) or
living in an environment with more varied stimulation than a stainless
steel cage will increase neurogenesis too....i hope we find that the
best ways to stimulate neurogenesis are not through pharmacoligcal
intervention, but that's my own view...

please email or post if you'd like references for what i've written (i
don't have them nearby right now).

peas,
boris

> > several antidepressant drugs as well as electroconvulsive shock also
> > increase neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus. It's likely that anything
> > that increases serotonin action will increase neurogenesis by an effect
> > on proliferation of the progenitor cells.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian Scott
> > brians at eol.ca
> > brians at interlog.com
> >
> > "In other studies you go as far as others have gone before you, and
> > there is nothing more to know; but in scientific pursuit there is
> > continual food for discovery and wonder." - Victor Frankenstein
> > (from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, 1818)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.