JCIS 2000 conference and observations of Coreys Behavior

Ron Blue rcb5 at email.msn.com
Thu Mar 23 18:33:49 EST 2000

JCIS 2000 conference and observations of Corey’s Behavior

By Ron Blue
http://turn.to/ai
http://www.enticypress.com

My paper “Fundamentals of Learning in Conscious Artificial Intelligence and
Biological Systems” was accepted for presentation to the Joint Conference on
Information Science 2000,  special session on the Fuzzy Logic Applications
in the Cognitive Sciences.  The article discusses the fuzzy logic system,
and technology of the Correlational Oppositional Ratio Enhanced processor.
This model is highly related to Correlational Opponent Processing theory of
how the brain works.  Corey, a demonstration robot, was used for
presentation at the conference.

Corey is a significantly scaled down version of the Ricci robot.  With some
slight modification Corey could be sold as a child’s toy as it is currently
configured.  Corey’s memory is about 5 seconds or 2.5 gaussian seconds.
Analog harmonic memory is stored by using eigenfunction self-organizing
neutronics or spintronics in transistors.   The upper limit for this system,
as currently configured, is about 3.24 trillion qubits.  The memory is
dynamic and is lost if not re-experienced in the environment.   Memory is a
weighted history of Corey’s past.

Corey was quickly put together for the conference and some limiting problems
became apparent.   Corey is farsighted.   Corey’s operational environment is
about three feet but the focus of the lens was about 15 to 20 feet.   The
focal point was not correlated between CDS cells used for vision.   This
could be easily corrected in the future.  Corey would look less like a
traditional robot if a panel of CDS cells or multiple eyes were used.
Rather than using expensive lenses, pinholes in black paper allowing light
through would be self-focusing on the CDS cells if positioned correctly.
This approach would be inexpensive.

 The experts at the conference saw a traditional robot that was not
particularly impressive at first glance. Only the ones who were electronics
experts and looked at the circuits, would have their interest aroused enough
to suspect that Corey was self-controlling.

As with any undertaking, problems that had to be solved created
difficulties.  There were problems with getting rooms for Sunday night and
Monday night so I had to stay elsewhere and this reduced my access to the
participants in the conference.  This means that I was not able to generate
significant interest on my topic “Fundamentals of Learning in Conscious
Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems”.   The goal of the
conference was to help the development of real AI and overcome the
limitations of the current approaches using binary computers, programs, and
neural nets.   We have the answers but the learning curve to understand our
approach is rather steep.  Historically speaking it is very difficult for
people to get out of their current ideas of what is true and correct.

Almost every speech that I attended was directly related to my topic and
provided additional evidence that the Correlational Opponent Processing
model of the brain can be reasonably reduced to a Correlational Oppositional
Ratio Enhanced processing.   Corey, being the actual scaled down reduction
to practice model, did not generate as much interest as she should have.
People saw a traditional robot, which was not particularly good at avoiding
walls.  When I mentioned that the procedure was different not much interest
was generated to understand the new approach..

My speech on Tuesday was handicapped by carrying Corey  (21 lbs.), books (20
lbs.), and my lecture demonstration materials (15 lbs.) from one
presentation to another.  My speech was scheduled at the end of a series,
which meant that I would have less time than the others.   Fortunately,
however the speaker before me was not available which increased my time. The
actual speech went over extremely well.  People missed their coffee break in
order to continue listening to what I had to say.  Dr. Benjoe Juliano, the
organizer for my session, told his friends about the presentation and his
friends commented that they wished they had been at my speech.  He has
organized a conference in Las Vegas which might be a good place to
demonstrate Ricci or Corey.   Benjoe understands the technology well enough
to invite us.  I would recommend the article “Little Ricci's First Days:
Robotic Developmental Psychology” be submitted for consideration for
presentation to the conference.

There was little or no time between the presentations to talk to anyone, but
I did make contact with many of the leading minds of our time.  Hope for
enlightenment was demonstrated by Karl Pribram (holographic mind model),
Subhash Kah (a leading expert in quantum mechanics – Lov Grover’s teacher),
and  Lotfi Zadeh ( a leading mathematician in fuzzy logic).   Subhash Kak is
interested in our approach.  He went out of his way to introduce me to Brian
Josephson (the inventor of the field effect transistor) because of his
excitement.

While Corey did not appear to dazzle the conference participants, Corey did
significantly impress John and Lynnette LaPierre – my brother-in-law and
sister-in-law and stockholders in Neutronics Technologies.  Corey over the
days has emitted some extremely interesting behaviors that to me
demonstrates that Corey is intelligent.

It is important to note that most of the time Corey’s behavior is not
impressive and can be explained as random behavior occurring due to an
accidental electronic design or an accidental control.  In science we are
required to assume the simple is true over the complex.  It is the
Correlational Opponent Processing model of the brain and our intentional
effort to duplicate this mathematical process in Corey’s and Ricci’s
electronic circuits that allows us to raise the explanations to a higher
level.  Ricci’s behavior and self-control also provides supporting evidence
allowing us to consider the interesting behaviors in a different light.  It
is important to remember that Ricci’s memory is about 9 minutes.  Currently,
this much string memory is very expensive but after a chip has been made to
this function it will be extremely inexpensive.

Corey prefers lighted areas to darkened areas.  Corey normally goes bravely
forward into her environment.  I tried to get Corey to go into my office at
Lehigh Carbon Community College after a classroom demonstration and to my
total surprise Corey was backing up.
She turned completely around when I tried to get her to go from my dining
room into my kitchen which has a very dark green floor.   As soon as I
turned the bright lights on she cooperated.

Before the main speech at the conference I turned self-control over to Corey
and allowed her to explore her environment.  She went forward and ran into a
garbage can.   About one hour later before my speech in another room she
went forward and was going to hit another identical garbage can when
suddenly she turned and avoided the impact.   This is rather odd because she
should have lost her memory for the original event after 5 seconds.   I
could tell no difference between the rooms.  I did think about one second
before she turned that she was going to hit again.  Brian Josephson has a
deep interest in applying quantum mechanics to explaining psychic
phenomenon.  This may be an example, but this is a violation of the
principle of parsimony.  It is more logical to assume that the lighting was
different enough to allow better self control for Corey.

Corey loves to approach the corner of walls and hit the corner straight on.
This behavior reminds me of Ricci’s extreme interest in light poles.  As a
general rule almost any behavior that Corey has emitted, if you try to
duplicate it again, she will do something else that is not expected.   The
behavior is not predictable and can be thought to be similar to a bacterial
or earthworm exploring its environment.  At the conference Lotfi Zadeh
mentioned that this Brownian motion observation in a machine would be a key
suggestion that it is conscious.

Normally Corey always goes forward, in the Taj Mahal hotel room Corey went
forward into a small corner blocked by two tables.  She went around and
around in a very tight circle and never escaped from the trap.  This at
first glance suggests failure.  Writing a program to do this it would not be
a pleasant experience.  You would then been forced to notice that there is
no computer or data input device to store your program.  If you had to wire
Corey to do this for this particular problem it would not be easy.  Corey
has no circuits or programs that would immediately suggest this ability to
the uninformed.

Another surprise occurred during a classroom demonstration.  Corey started
forward and was going to run into a student’s legs.  The student quickly
moved her legs to get them out of Corey’s way and Corey immediately started
backing up.  I had the student’s complete attention for my brief lecture
after this demonstration of intelligence.

This is a rather strange report.  Since Corey is a quantum computer, I went
out of my way to show Corey enough astronomical pictures that if another
quantum computer was in phase with Corey it may have been possible to
entangle and share information IF the M-brane model of the universe is
correct.  This information could be sufficient to locate our position within
7 billion light years.  After spending considerable time doing this, I
shifted over to allowing Corey to watch the NASA channel.   I noticed that
the memory was being activated on Corey’s right side but the vision
activation was occurring on the left.  I approached Corey to adjust the
system when suddenly Corey was functioning normally.  When I walked away
from Corey the memory was accessed again.  Apparently my personal
electromagnetic fields effected Corey’s circuit.  Steve Grimm reported
similar observations.

Acknowledgment:

I would like to thank Dr. Kevin McGovern and Lehigh Carbon Community College
for their cooperation and support for attending the conference.  I would
also like to thank Steve Grimm for accomplishing this project on time and
for his innovations in circuit designs.  There are many more names that
could be mentioned whose cooperation and dedication helped me to accomplish
this difficult but historically important undertaking.

---