Standards in Artificial Intelligence

L.A. Loren lloren at mitre.org
Wed Nov 1 15:50:45 EST 2000

Jerry Freedman Jr wrote:

> > Other than Neural Net computing, Artificial Intelligence is a bunch
> of bullshit.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >

> At the risk of starting a flame war ( hell, I was snubbed, insulted,
> treated as an uncultured boor by enough AI investigators in the 80's)
> How did that BS last as long as it did?
>
> J. Freedman,Jr
> --

I do think you need to expand the list of non-bullshit approaches a bit.
I think some of the work in embodied cognition like Brooks' subsumption
architecture, Randall Beer, Mark Tilden, etc. warrants more research.
There's also evolutionary algorithms, and probably a few others. It's
worth noting that most of these folks go to great lengths to distance
themselves from classical AI.

Having said that, I think classical AI was a reasonable idea and worth
pursuing (although in the end wrong) it's just that a lot of the people
carrying out the research behaved badly towards alternate approaches
(they were not particularly kind to researchers working on genetic or
evolutionary algorithms either).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Lew