Standards in Artificial Intelligence

Glover, Roger rglover at talarian.com
Wed Nov 1 16:12:37 EST 2000

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> > Other than Neural Net computing, Artificial Intelligence is a bunch
> > of bullshit.

Well... genetic algorithms show some promise too.

Jerry Freedman Jr wrote:
> At the risk of starting a flame war ( hell, I was snubbed, insulted,
> treated as an uncultured boor by enough AI investigators in the 80's)

With most of the rest of us here it was the MPP pushers in the 90's.

> How did that BS last as long as it did?

AI?  Strong attraction to playing God on the part of many researchers
and funding agencies.  Just enough "breakthroughs" to drive the research
engine through another funding cycle.  Desire to have HAL available for
the first manned mission to the outer planets next year.  :^)

None of it particularly surprising.  Just people being people.

Along science and technology R&D lines, what I find most surprising is
that we could put six sets of men on Earth's moon in 3.5 years... AND
THEN **NEVER** RETURN AGAIN.  That failure of vision will never cease to
astonish me.  For stupid shortsightedness, this decision s rivaled only
by the decision by the 15th century Ming rulers in China to stop funding
their extremely successful naval explorations.

Instead we funded AI research.  Maybe the lunar exploration cut-off is
not so surprising after all.

-- Roger