Standards in Artificial Intelligence

steve at tropheus.demon.co.uk steve at tropheus.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 17:43:51 EST 2000

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 10:01:42 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<akulkis at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think it's summed up best by the sage observation:
>"Hueristic methods don't work...if they did, they would be called ALGORITHMS"

How do you think the commit or rollback decisions are made when
transaction based systems are held up waiting on some part of a huge
distributed database? Consider an international banking or trading
system. Thousands of transactions could be held up because of a disc
breaks, do we wait for all the parts of the database (the disc array)
to come back on line? No, we make a heuristic decision and save an
expensive hold up.

Heuristic methods can work very well.

Steve
--