Standards in Artificial Intelligence

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at harper.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 10 22:22:10 EST 2000

Phil Norman <Phil.Norman at genedata.com> wrote:
>Ah, but there's a lack of something that we do have on Earth - on
>the moon there's no atmosphere.  In some ways this is a bad thing,
>since it means we have to provide our own if we go there, but it
>means, for example, that atronomical observations can be taken
>without atmospheric disturbance.  Yes, I know this can be done
>from orbit, but IMHO living conditions on the moon would be
>preferable to those in a space station.  This is just one example,
>but it doesn't take much brain-power to think up some more.

    If there is a bright star in the telescope's field of vision then
some ground based instruments are able to figure out the atmosphere's
distortions and correct for it using software and deformable mirrors.
Even if there is no guide star in the field of view, there has been work
done on using a laser to simulate one by ionizing a certain region of the
atmosphere.  Right now the people are primarily working on the techniques
and instrumentation but apparently the air force has been doing similar
things since the mid 80s.

Suchandra Thapa             | "There are only two kinds of math books.
s-thapaNO at SPAMuchicago.edu  | Those you cannot read beyond the first