Visual Cortex Columns Question

Richard Vickery Richard.Vickery at unsw.edu.au
Mon Nov 20 18:42:40 EST 2000

mike wrote:

>  I am not sure how i want to phrase this question, but what purpose do the
> Ocular dominance, and Orientation columns in the visual cortex serve?
> Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Because of the laminar structure of cortex, columns make evolutionary
sense - combining similar inputs and keeping the wiring simple.
Purpose is harder to answer, as you could devise alternate schemes
that functioned without columns.  I believe the essence is to
facilitate re-inforcement and suppression - so that activity in a
given orientation column tends to lead to more activity in that column
and suppression of activity in neighbouring columns of different
orientation.

--
Dr Richard Vickery
School of Physiology & Pharmacology, UNSW, Australia, 2052