Does Inteligence require conciousness?

Mentifex mentifex at
Thu Oct 26 01:53:56 EST 2000

In article <8t73rm$jin$1 at>,
  simonh_hibbs at wrote:
> I've been thinking about how we might construct an artificial
> inteligence, and the architecture of a mind in general, and
> the following question occured to me.
Now that people are actively coding artificial minds based on
neuroscientific principles, the dull imaginations of the SF
writers are losing out to the Grand Challenge project of AI. -- AI emerges.

> Does Inteligence require conciousness?
ATM: is a PD AI
treatment of consciousness as an emergent epiphenomenon.
IMHO inteligence does not so much *require* consciousness
as inescapably give rise to, or *cause* consciousness as
a natural by-product of knowledge about self and the world:
"Cogito ergo sum" -- the immortal words of Renatius Cartesius.

> Is it necessery that an artificial inteligence must be
> self aware, or rather have an experience of being which
> is not a result of mere sensory evidence of it's existence?
> Any thoughts?
It is hard to imagine any other self-awareness than the
sensory one.  One wonders what alternative you may suggest.
Even the internal consciousness of a dream is sensory.
> Simon Hibbs  [...]
-- Art of Computer Mindmaking; Mind.Forth PD AI; The AI Tutorial; "Standards in AI"

Sent via
Before you buy.