Robot Dreams

lupa lupawolf at
Wed Sep 13 00:48:55 EST 2000

In article <8pn13t$f5g$1 at>, George Bajszar <gyuri at> wrote:

> Every mammal must sleep. Sleep is not enough, dreams play a big role.
> Without dreams, a person goes insane quickly, the neural networks melt
> down to a random mess. Doesn't that suggest that reorganization or
> garbage collection of information in the brain is taking place?

no, not at all.  all it suggests is that there is something necessary that
our brains do while we dream that we cannot do while we are awake *or*

my personal theory is that dreams are a way of safely addressing intense
emotion (since intense emotion *also* affects memory, recall, and
sanity).  yours is that it processes and reorganizes memory.  however,
neither theories have enough basis in scientific fact to make the