Music and IQ

David Webber dave at
Wed Sep 27 01:51:46 EST 2000

Chazzz <chazz469 at> wrote in message
news:0y7A5.121110$xg1.1054147 at

>....  Music is mathematically based....

I've seen this said before, but believe it to be a complete misconception.

Music is to do with fairly abstract patterns - and has that in common with
mathematics.  This is probably at the heart of the fact that many
mathematicians and scientists enjoy music and some are quite accomplished

It is also true that *some* elements of music lend themselves to
mathematical analysis.  However on the mathematician's scale of things the
mathematics is utterly trivial - I have never seen anything that wouldn't be
completely accessible to a 16 year old in high school (except formulating
and solving equations modelling the vibrations of instruments - which I
suspect is not what you're talking about) .

Music is an art form based in the creative minds of composers,  some aspects
of which can be analysed using mathematics.

Dave Webber
Author of MOZART the Music Processor for Windows -
Member of the North Cheshire Concert Band