Russians create artificial human brain

Erik Max Francis max at
Mon Apr 16 17:33:04 EST 2001

mark edward hardwidge wrote:

>         I'm kind of stupid.  Could you remind me of exactly when we
> use "was" and when we use "were"?  Some cases are obvious to me, but
> not all.

It's the subjunctive mode, any high school level English text will go
into detail about.  It's for situations that are assumptions,
hypotheticals, known to be contrary to fact, wishes, recommendations,

The canonical example is, "If I were a rich man ..."

 Erik Max Francis / max at /
/  \ Let he who does not know what war is go to war.
\__/ (a Spanish proverb)
    Erik Max Francis' bookmarks /
 A highly categorized list of Web links.