A Theory of Sleep

Brian zhil at online.no
Wed Aug 15 11:21:09 EST 2001

"yan king yin" <y.k.y@(no spam please)lycos.com> skrev i melding
news:9ld5mu$3bc6 at imsp212.netvigator.com...
> "Brian" <zhil at online.no> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó:
> > Hello Yin,
> > This was a well-thought theory.
> > But my question is - how will this theory affect the interfacing between
> > neurons and electronics if the neurons are producing/destroying synaptic
> > connectiosn via the dendrites and axons ?
> > Just curious - it could scrap the idea about interfacing with the CNS,
> but
> > it might not pose a problem if the goal is the external neural system,
> like
> > the eyes(vision) or ears(audio).
>
> I found out that my earlier schemes for neuroelectronic interface has
> various
> technical difficulties, and that using an external neural system as you
> said,
> might be more practical. Im studying on some of these aspects.
>
> The brain is very plastic and if you make new innervations from an
external
> source it could likely cause re-organization in the cortex, and then the
> brain
> might be able to "see" with the new source (for artificial sight).
>
> For example in the phatom limb, motor cortex is re-organized so that other
> nearby areas invade the amputated area. The problem is how to induce as
> much plasticity as in the early stages of development.
>
> In Roger Sperry's experiments with the frog with the rotated eye, the
frogs
> stuck out their tongues in the wrong direction and eventually failed to
> learn
> the new directions. So there is a limit to this plasticity. Maybe the
> change
> was too drastic in this case.
>
> Some neurites undergo maturation in the cytoskeleton and also myelination.
> After that their structure is much more stabilized, and it seems that this
> process is irreversible. Maybe the brain is modular so that some neurons
> retain plasticity while others are more stable.

Thanks for the reply.
Your last point about plasticity of the neurites, question - are there any
papers
about which neurites remain the plasticity and those that stabilize ?
By the way, I logged onto your homepage and there was a picture of a male,
was
that you ?  (He seemed to say "Hey you!")

Brian