best intermediate neuroscience text book?

Richard Norman rsnorman at
Sun Aug 19 20:42:04 EST 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 01:15:51 GMT, "Francesco"
<francesco at> wrote:

>I want to get into neuroscience and brain research with the
>intentions of one day working on the brain-computer interface
>project.  Can anyone recommend some good books to start
>me in the right direction?
There are many choices (and many opinions about what "intermediate"
means).  You certainly can't go wrong with any of these:

Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessell
Principles of Neural Science 4th Ed
McGraw Hill 2000

Zigmond, Bloom, Landis, Roberts, and Squire
Fundamental Neuroscience
Academic Press, 1998

Purves,  Augustine, Fitzpatric, ...
Neuroscience, 2nd Ed.
Sinauer Associates, 2000

or for a more specialized view although somewhat old
An Introduction to Molecular Neurobiology
Sinauer Associates,  1992