best intermediate neuroscience text book?

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Sun Aug 19 20:42:04 EST 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 01:15:51 GMT, "Francesco"
<francesco at neurodesign.com> wrote:

>I want to get into neuroscience and brain research with the
>intentions of one day working on the brain-computer interface
>project.  Can anyone recommend some good books to start
>me in the right direction?
>
>Francesco

There are many choices (and many opinions about what "intermediate"
means).  You certainly can't go wrong with any of these:

Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessell
Principles of Neural Science 4th Ed
McGraw Hill 2000
http://shop.mcgraw-hill.com/cgi-bin/pbg/0838577016.html

Zigmond, Bloom, Landis, Roberts, and Squire
Fundamental Neuroscience
Academic Press, 1998
http://www.apnet.com/fn/

Purves,  Augustine, Fitzpatric, ...
Neuroscience, 2nd Ed.
Sinauer Associates, 2000
http://www.sinauer.com/Titles/frpurvesne.htm

or for a more specialized view although somewhat old
Hall
An Introduction to Molecular Neurobiology
Sinauer Associates,  1992
http://www.sinauer.com/Titles/frhall.htm