"Near Proof for Near-Death?"

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mom
Mon Dec 17 15:51:21 EST 2001

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52232-2001Dec16.html
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_1685000/1685311.stm
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991693

 The researchers seem convinced that the findings prove
 non-neurological experience, but I don't see how they
 could prove that the experiences recalled post-death
 recovery occurred during the period of zero neurological
 activity. Assuming all experience is neurologically based
 (which seems a reasonable assumption) the best explanation
 may be: as the brain was in the process of shutting down
 it produced unusual experiences. When I became adept in
 achieving lucid dreaming after practicing meditations
 said to facilitate such, I saw light the first times
 I interfaced my conscious mind into the dreaming mind.
 And after prolonged meditations I've seen white light.
 So seeing light isn't evidence of non-neuro-experience.
 Indeed, I'd interpret it as evidence of neuro-activity.

 They say before a near-death event one may see one's life
 history flash before the eyes. Surely that might include
 seeing family members, including those that recently died.
 So seeing dead relatives doesn't prove non-neuro-experience.
 Since I have yet to review the full study, I should shut up.
 I like the researcher's analogy of the "soul" as a TV program,
 which is stated in the Washington Post report linked-to above.
 However, I find this to be a plausible explanation for OBEs:

 http://IanGoddard.net/paranorm.htm

 The Lancet, which published the study in question,
 states at their wesite that the full study is free:

 http://www.thelancet.com/journal

 Scroll to:

 "Near-death experience in survivors of cardiac
 arrest: a prospective study in the Netherlands"

http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol358/iss9298/full/llan.358.9298.original_research.18751.1

 But it seems you still have to open a password account.

 http://IanGoddard.net