ANN: Book: Theoretical Neuroscience

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at
Tue Dec 18 08:03:41 EST 2001

Jud Wolfskill <wolfskil at> shilled again for MIT on 17 Dec 2001:
[but we don't mind because his shills are interesting and informative]
> I thought readers of might be interested in this
> book.  For more information, please visit
>  Thank you!
> Best,
> Jud
> Theoretical Neuroscience
> Computational and Mathematical Modeling of Neural Systems
> Peter Dayan and L. F. Abbott [...]
Why has MIT been historically so NIH-style inimical to new theories? (QED)

> [...] This text introduces the basic mathematical and computational
> methods of theoretical neuroscience and presents applications

> in a variety of areas including vision, "The Vision Module"

> sensory-motor integration, "The Sensorium Module"

> development, "The Alife AI Loop"

> learning, "The Newconcept Module"

> and memory. "Short Term Memory (STM)"
> The book is divided into three parts. Part I discusses the
> relationship between sensory stimuli and neural responses,
> focusing on the representation of information by the spiking
> activity of neurons. Part II discusses the modeling of neurons
> and neural circuits on the basis of cellular and synaptic biophysics.
> Part III analyzes the role of plasticity in development and learning.
> An appendix covers the mathematical methods used, and exercises
> are available on the book's Web site.

An alternative Theoretical Neuroscience is available for authors at "Brain-Mind: Know Thyself!"

>Peter Dayan is on the faculty of the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience
>Unit at University College London. L. F. Abbott is the Nancy Lurie Marks
>Professor of Neuroscience and Director of the Volen Center for Complex
>Systems at Brandeis University. He is the coeditor of Neural Codes and
>Distributed Representations (MIT Press, 1999).
>7 x 9, 576 pp., 165 illus.
>cloth ISBN 0-262-04199-5

Arthur T. Murray,
-- -- "AI for Virtual Entitites" - October 2001 "Building AI" "Brain-Mind: Know Thyself!"