Roger Sperry's Nobel Prize (was "impact of telepathy")

John M Price PhD jmprice at
Sat Feb 3 15:05:30 EST 2001

In sci.psychology.theory article <Uj3e6.86831$ft6.2255212 at> Richard Norman <rsnorman at> wrote:

: "John M Price PhD" <jmprice at> wrote in message
: news:3a788f2e_1 at

:> In sci.psychology.theory article
: <LAJd6.83754$ft6.1969570 at> Richard Norman
: <rsnorman at> wrote:

:       <snip a lot of irrelevant stuff about telepathy>

:>>  I remember Roger Sperry (Nobelist for, among other things,
:>> split-brain studies) saying that ...

:> Nope.  The Nobel was for the chemical communication stuff deriving from
:> his work on the frog visual system.

: According to the official web site of the Nobel Foundation
: Roger Sperry won the Nobel Prize in 1981 "for his discoveries
: concerning the functional specialization of the cerebral hemispheres"

Wow.  I should get a refund from a certain high ranking prof for a class
where he mentioned just this prize, and incorrectly.

Or I could be misremembering the seminar.

John M. Price, PhD                                     jmprice at
Life: Chemistry, but with feeling!      |      PGP Key on request or FTP!
  Email responses to my Usenet articles will be posted at my discretion.
Comoderator: sci.psychology.psychotherapy.moderated          Atheist# 683

But it is also the case that whenever an intellectual discipline produces
what appears to be an important breakthrough in our understanding of the
world, whether it be racial theory or chaos theory, the chances are that
it will be appropriated by people whose most striking characteristic is
their lack of intellectual discipline.
	- Damian Thompson 5Mar97 Gaia Anti-Christ, Kingston University