Roger Sperry's Nobel Prize (was "impact of telepathy")

EL hemetis at
Sun Feb 4 22:22:16 EST 2001

In article <3a7c648a_2 at>,
jmprice at wrote:
> In sci.psychology.theory article <Uj3e6.86831
$ft6.2255212 at> Richard Norman
<rsnorman at> wrote:
> : "John M Price PhD" <jmprice at> wrote in message
> : news:3a788f2e_1 at
> :> In sci.psychology.theory article
> : <LAJd6.83754$ft6.1969570 at> Richard Norman
> : <rsnorman at> wrote:
> : <snip a lot of irrelevant stuff about telepathy>
> :>> I remember Roger Sperry (Nobelist for, among other things,
> :>> split-brain studies) saying that ...
> :>
> :> Nope. The Nobel was for the chemical communication stuff deriving
> :> his work on the frog visual system.
> : According to the official web site of the Nobel Foundation
> :
> : Roger Sperry won the Nobel Prize in 1981 "for his discoveries
> : concerning the functional specialization of the cerebral
> Wow. I should get a refund from a certain high ranking prof for a
> where he mentioned just this prize, and incorrectly.
> Or I could be misremembering the seminar.
> Thanks.
> --
> John M. Price, PhD
> Life: Chemistry, but with feeling!
Hah. :)
What "branch" of chemistry did you say that you earned that Ph.D. in?
Embarrassment, or was it deep embarrassment?
Pay attention to the meanings of the words sir.
Scientists do work on frogs and mice to conclude for humans before
attempting to verify.
You are talking about a Nobel Laureate here not one of your students.
How do you think did he arrive at the functional specialization of the
cerebral hemispheres, if he did not work on every animal he could get
his hands on?
I can imagine him using monkeys as well, ethically intact or not, but
he must have done more than you can imagine to reach his findings.
EL Hemetis

Sent via