EEG report-- analysis requested!!

MailCA mailca at aol.com
Fri Jan 5 17:23:44 EST 2001

The following is an EEG report from about a year and a half ago.  I was just
diagnosed with narcolepsy.

I'm not well-versed in neurosciences, but I know that narcolepsy is considered
an intrusion of REM brain patterns into normal waking time.  And from this
report, it appears that there is an abnormal amount of slow wave activity when
I'm awake-- kind of like my brain is partially asleep.

My question is whether this EEG should have suggested further neurological
inquiry (besides just the CAT scan they had me in for), which might have lead
to the narcolepsy diagnosis earlier.  I would also appreciate any input about
other possible implications from this report.

TIA
Christy Ann

Technique
A 21 channel recording with standard 10-20 electrode placements after chloral
hydrate desation.  Hyperventilation and photic stimulation were performed.

Description
During wakefulness there is moderate amplitude 10 Hz rhythmic posterior
activity which is reactive to eye opening.  Throughout the study there is
bifrontal independent polymorphic delta activity to varying extents.  Some of
this seems to be related to eye motion artifact but other appears to be of
cerebral origin.  No paroxysmal or epileptiform activity is noted and no stages
of sleep are achieved.  During drowsiness generalized irregular low amplitude
slow waves predominate. Hyperventilation leads to slight build-up of theta
activity without focality. Photic stimulation elicits no changes.

Impression
This is a mildly abnormal EEG because of excess bifrontal irregular slow wave
activity.  Some of this is likely to be of cerebral origin and could suggest an
area of localized cortical dysfunction which could be on a structural,
traumatic, ischemic, or post ictal basis.  Brain imaging may be advisable.