Developmental neurobiology and pain

Bill Browning bbrownin at nospambellatlantic.net
Mon Jan 8 15:15:28 EST 2001

Célia
     Perhaps nociception develops late in the gestation period.  There would
be little
evolutionary value of being able to sense pain until the fetus reaches
viability.  What
could the fetus do in response to pain that would increase is survival
likelihood?
     Read the article, "Nociception", by Luise Pernar in:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro98/202s98-paper3/Pernar3.html
for a discussion of why the brain does not have nociceptors.
     It says: ... it makes evolutionary sense for the body to be so well
equipped with
nociceptors in almost all locations. The most notable exception to this
logic is the
brain. The brain itself has no nociceptors and therefore is pain
insensitive. Why is
this all-important structure not equipped with and therefore indirectly
protected by
nociceptors? Presumably, the brain is not equipped with nociceptors as an
impact
that is strong enough to 'hurt' the brain would almost certainly be fatal.
As evolution
is ecological, the brain therefore probably came to have no nociceptors. ...
Bill B.
news:3a524371 at 212.18.160.197...