Quadraplegia and emotional sensation in the body.

et_al at my-deja.com et_al at my-deja.com
Sun Jan 14 02:44:14 EST 2001

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:00:19 -0000, "Andrew T. Austin"
<slightlynervous at NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if people who are paralysed from the neck down and lack
>sensation from the body, still experience feelings in the midline such as
>the proverbial "sinking feeling" or "butterflys in the stomach"?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Andrew "needs the answer for a webpage" Austin.

These anxiety sensations have both a body and a brain/mind
component. Direct brain to body communication may have been stopped,
but indirect hormonal communications haven't been. So the brain can
still cause an effect in the gastric system, and also receive
hormonal input back. But I suspect both sensations are mostly ones
of the brain/mind anywway.

Ian