is tremor in parkinsons due to the indirect subthalamic pathway?

Shamim Khaliq shamimkhaliq at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 08:49:44 EST 2001

Shamim Khaliq <shamimkhaliq at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3a6198fb_1 at news.intensive.net...
> Administering levodopa helps bradykinesia and rigidity, not tremor or
> balance. Pallidotomy helps bradykinesia, tremor and rigidity. Can I infer
> tremor is not due to decreased dopaminergic input from the substantia
nigra
> pars compacta. Could it perhaps be due to reduced glutamate excitation
from
> the substantia nigra pars reticulata to the striatum, thence to the globus
> pallidus externa, thence relayed to the subthalamic nucleus before being
> output though the globus pallidus externa? (the indirect subthalamic
> pathway, not the indirect nigrostriatal pathway)

my lecturer replied to me on this one with:
One of the things I didn't highlight in the lecture was the difference in
direct and indirect pathways. It is at this point that some behaviours
express differentiation.

The paper by Bedard PJ; Gomex-Mancilla; Blanchet P; Grondin R & DiPaolo T
(1995)
Dopamine-receptor families and the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
Clinical
Neuropharmacology, 18 (Suppl. 1), S178-187.

has some suggestions as to receptor families and their contribution to the
puzzle.