Why Object-Oriented JavaScript is ideal for GOFAI

Mentifex mentifex at my-deja.com
Fri Jan 26 10:51:15 EST 2001

In article <3a6d9fb8 at news.victoria.tc.ca>,
  uj797 at victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray) wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/jsaimind.html -- why?
>
> 1.  Millions of Netizens already possess a JavaScript
> interpreter built into their Web browser, so there is
> no need to download BOTH a language such as Forth AND
> an AI source file such as the Mind.Forth available at
> http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/mind4th.html (q.v.).
Mentifex/ATM:
Roboticists may be using Forth or any other language --
whatever -- but the value here in using JavaScript for AI
is that any roboticist may look at the PD AI, see how well
it works, and then decide whether to port it into any chosen
language for use on a particular robot or class of 'droids.

Please bear with me while I finesse the port-in-progress code.
Suddenly I am re-doing some arrangements of the AI architecture
because they are so clearly visible on the JavaScript AI page
that I see ways to enhance them and make them more sensible.
Also, JavaScript is an event-driven language, a feature which
helps to build the artificial mind but which necessitates change.

> 2.  The built-in security of JavaScript, which prevents
> a clicked-on program from installing anything more
> malicious/odious/nuisance-like than a 4096-byte "cookie"
> on the sacrosanct computer of the innocent user,
> renders JavaScript AI a safe, trustable method of
> spreading the memes of AI without endangering
> either individual users or the world at large, although
> http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html
> has Vinge's dire warnings about Technological Singularity.
ATM:
Flame me all you want in news:rec.arts.sf.science --
but the Vingean original thinkers hang out there and so I
desperately wish to bring this original AI design to their IQ.

> 3.  The educational value of a JavaScript AI is priceless,
> because knowledge of an OO language is good in general, and
> because knowledge of JavaScript is a "hotshot" job skill
> both for teaching technology and for $$$ Web design:  MMF!
ATM:  I.e., Make-Money-Fast once you become a JavaScript expert.

> 4.  The infinite tweakability of the artificial mind
> enshrined as a Psi Object Model within the JavaScript
> Document Object Model (DOM) described on-line at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/
> guarantees a veritable pre-Cambrian memetic explosion
> of novel PD JS AI alife forms, mutations and variants
> in fulfilment of the Heuristically Algorithmic (HAL)
> promise of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
ATM:  Already in A.D. 2000, Mind.Forth was ported by
two programmers into Visual Basic and into Java.
This new AI in JavaScript may engender massive ports;
please stand by....

Arthur T. Murray, mentifex at scn.org
--
http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/ailinks.html AI Individuals;