What's split-brain studies?

Kwok-Man Hui kmhui at math.duke.edu
Wed Jan 31 09:41:06 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Richard Norman wrote:

> > Doing the experiment to confirm such an existence is not easy because it's
> > very political, first of all. Second, hard to find the right candidate to
> > do the test.
> > Anyway, even with all these difficulties, it is still worthwile to conduct
> > the test if you realize its impact on science.
> >
> <snip a lot of stuff here>

> I remember Roger Sperry (Nobelist for, among other things,
> split-brain studies) saying that perhaps the greatest evidence
> for the absence of anything like telepathy is the total inability
> of the two hemispheres to communicate without direct nervous
> connection between them.  Certainly, if there were two "kindred
> spirits" it would be the left and right hemispheres of one
> individual.  Everything about them would match just right.  Further
> they are so closely apposed that even a weak telepathic signal
> should come through loud and clear!  Yet no split brain patient
> ever showed any ability to communicate that way between the
> hemispheres.

What's split brain study?

Withou direct nerve connection between two hemisphere doesn't mean no
nerve connection at all. What about the cerebellum? Or the part of the
brain controls the involutory action.It doesn't mean that part will
provide the telepathy directly. Such a power may involve several parts of
the cerebrum organizing to work together. The subconciousness may help.

I think if telepathic exists, it involves function of some part of the
brain yet we don't know its potential power. There must exist some
connection btween some parts of the brain.

Some other questions. Why telepathic signal should be loud and clear?
Loud and clear in SOME specific receivers' heads? Or loud and clear in the
air?

Regards,

Charles